Am Sat, 29 Jan 2022 18:11:18 +0100
schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann via lyx-users <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>:

> Am 29.01.22 um 16:06 schrieb Kornel Benko via lyx-users:
> > Am Sat, 29 Jan 2022 15:27:15 +0100
> > schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann via lyx-users <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>:

> >> This is the
> >> wolfgang@Fuji:/usr/bin$ ls lyx*
> >> lyx  lyxclient
> >> wolfgang@Fuji:/usr/bin$ cd /usr/local/bin/
> >>
> >> wolfgang@Fuji:/usr/local/bin$ ls lyx*
> >> lyx  lyxclient
> >>   > is Version 2.4.0dev (not released yet)
> >>
> >> /usr/bin$ ./lyx
> >> LyX: Unknown tag `\citation_search_view' [around line 507 of file
> >> ~/.lyx/lyxrc.defaults current token: '\citation_search_view' context: '']
> >> LyXRC.cpp (417): Conversion failed for /home/wolfgang/.lyx/preferences
> >> Warning: Die Konfigurationsdatei konnte nicht gelesen werden
> >> Fehler beim Lesen der Konfigurationsdatei
> >> preferences.
> >> Bitte prüfen Sie Ihre Installation.
> >>
> >>   > this does not start lyx
> >>
> >> wolfgang@Fuji:/usr/local/bin$ ./lyx
> >> LyXComm: Pipe /home/wolfgang/.lyx/lyxpipe.in already exists.
> >> If no other LyX program is active, please delete the pipe by hand and
> >> try again.
> >> qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 5 (BadAtom), sequence: 795,
> >> resource id: 0, major code: 20 (GetProperty), minor code: 0
> >> Warning: Failed to produce 1 preview snippet(s)
> >>
> >>   > this starts lyx
> >>
> >> Should I just remove the /usr/bin lyx binary?
> >>
> >> Wolfgang
> >> Warning: Failed to produce 1 preview snippet(s)
> >>

> > It may be that /usr/bin/lyx is provided by your package manager. So
> > removing it
> > manually would be a very bad style IMO.
> >
> > Better to set
> > a;) either your PATH to have /usr/local/bin prior to /usr/bin
> > or
> > b;) if your OS is debian based, use synaptic to withdraw the lyx.
> >      You may also check if the '/usr/bin/lyx' belongs to a package
> >      $ dpkg -S `which lyx`
> >
> >     Kornel
> >

> Thanks, Kornel,
> I have completely removed the lyx 2.3.6 version using synaptic of my Debian.
> Since the 2.4.0. version is not yet available via synaptic, I keep this
> developmental version which I compiled before.
> Wolfgang

Mark, that if you want to use both versions simultaneously, you should compile
with
version suffix.
Add to automake configure parameters:
        "--with-version-suffix=2.4"
or, if you build with cmake,
add to cmake configure eparameters:
        "-DLYX_PROGRAM_SUFFIX:BOOL=ON -DLYX_LOCALVERSIONING:BOOL=ON"

depending on which build tool you use.
The resulting lyx-executable will be named "lyx2.4".

        Kornel