On 9/9/22 17:58, Rich Shepard wrote:
I've a large report, six large chapters, bibliography, two appendices.

When I try to compile it I get an error. Trying to find where that error is
created, I made a new, empty mwe.lyx file.

Starting at the bottom of my report, I copied the appendices and
bibliography to mwe.lyx. Saved and built. No error. I then added chapters
individually to mwe.lyx, saved and built. No errors. Continued up through
Chapter 2; didn't add Chapter 1 because the report had no issues before I
added text, citations, and the appendices.

So, somewhere in what I added today pdflatex couldn't digest. But, copying
from the end of the report forward, chapter-by-chapter everything builds.

What other procedure should I use to find what's causing the error?

Rich
Rich,

Here's what I would do. Assuming that you have the original document (the one that won't compile) salted away somewhere, I would take your MWE and add Chapter 1 and anything else that's missing. If it still compiles, I'd compare it to the original using a file comparison tool and see if there are any meaningful differences (e.g., LaTeX commands in one but not the other). If differences are found, I'd try to figure out which one(s) cause the problem and then what caused LyX to insert/delete/alter/reorder the critical lines.

Paul