Am 02.12.22 um 20:47 schrieb Rich Shepard:
On Fri, 2 Dec 2022, Rich Shepard wrote:

$ texindy biota-to-set-wq-standards.idx
texindy: not a symlink as required for TeX Live at /usr/bin/texindy line 414.

Okay. Found the problem, but the solution doesn't work.

I copied texindy.pl into /usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/ where its perms are
755.

In /usr/bin/ I deleted texindy and created a soft-link to
/usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texindy.pl. The /usr/bin/ version has perms:

/usr/local/bin   makes more sense to me

# ll texindy
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Dec  2 11:41 texindy -> /usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texindy.pl

When I try to run the script (as a user) the response is:
$ texindy biota-to-set-wq-standards.idx
-bash: /usr/bin/texindy: Permission denied

This puzzles me as /usr/bin/texindy is a link with 777 perms.

Are you really sure, that there is no other copy in your system?

which -a texindy

what happens if you run

/usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texindy.pl biota-to-set-wq-standards.idx

and

/usr/bin/texindy biota-to-set-wq-standards.idx

However, official reinstalling should fix the permission problem:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install xindy

Herbert