On 23/05/2023 02:48, Steve Litt wrote:
Daniel said on Sun, 21 May 2023 20:18:37 +0200

On 2023-05-19 01:02, Josh Burdeshaw wrote:
Hi,
Am trying to create a link to a .msg (email) file. I am able to
create a working link using the \href{URL}{text} only when the link
is an absolute path. When I change the path to a relative path the
link gives the following message:

image.png

--
Josh Burdeshaw

Looks like an interesting issue for LyX. Maybe there should be an
option to create the PDF in the directory of the LyX file. The easiest
would be probably to first create the PDF as usual, but then put a
copy of it into the document directory and open that.

Daniel

I usually just have a shellscript to export to PDF or LaTeX, and if
LaTeX, compile it. Also deal with images needing conversion. Within that
shellscript I can set any directories I want to. I enjoy this method
because I know exactly every step of the conversion process.

SteveT

Steve Litt

Sounds good.

But I take it that one idea of LyX is to make it easier for people who are not into scripting to be able to create working documents.

Furthermore, creating the output document directly in the working directory seems to be the standard way that several LaTeX editors (in fact all that I have tested) work when typesetting/building & viewing a document. So, it might be expected that the OP's issue should not occur in LyX (when working with LaTeX).

Daniel