The background of my LyX documents are a pale yellow and while the point
position's cursor is red and stands out well on the background, the
trackball/mouse pointer is a very thin black and easily lost amoung the
black text. Is there a way to change that pointer's color?

I didn't see that option in Tools -> Settings -> Display. In other
applications (e.g., alpine where it's a white "I" bar which stands out on
the black background, or the web browser where it's a black arrow on a
white background.) In my urxvt virtual terminals I set the color to yellow
which contrasts with the dark blue background.)

Having the LyX cursor stand out from both the pale yellow background _and_
the black text would be really helpful.

Regards,

Rich