On Wed, 28 Jun 2023, Herbert Voss wrote:

[11] [12]
chapter without number
[1]
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=10000].
\protect ->\noexpand \protect
                              \noexpand
l.204 Data}

that looks like a recursion. In line 204 you are reading a file with
Data in its name. Right? Show that part of the source code.

Herbert,

I saw that in the log file and had no idea what it meant. The Preface is a
chapter without number, and I'm adding an Acknowledgement page before that
which will also be a chapter without number.

Here's the context for line 204 in the .tex file:
----
To appreciate why the statistical framework used for environmental
data is critical for decision-makers it is necessary to understand
the details of each one.

\section{\label{sec:Analyzing-Environmental-Data}Analyzing Environmental
Data}

There are three statistical model frameworks applied to data sets.
They are not equivalent and each is most appropriate to answer questions
about different types of data. ----

I want to learn more about incorporating LaTeX in my LyX documents. For this
book I want to modify the chapter headings and found code that does most of
that (chapter name left-aligned between two horizontal rules) and I want the
chapter number in words (all lower case) centered above that. This will wait
until I learn how to fix the capacity issue and prepare the index.

Regards,

Rich