On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 07:11:51PM +0300, Baruch Even wrote:
> * George De Bruin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010526 19:05]:
> > On Wednesday 23 May 2001 11:17, Baruch Even wrote:
> >
> > > To follow up on these comments and enthusiasm (and a developers
> > > discussion), what is the language of choice for such an embedded
> > > scripting language is from your perspective?
> > >
> > > Several options that were raised (and I rememeber) include Icon,
> > > Lisp, Scheme and Python.
> >
> > Personally, I liked the concept of implementing this to support multiple
> > languages so you could chose your own.  (Not only do people have personal
> > preferences, but they may also have existing code bases that they want or
> > need to integrate new code with.)
>
> The need is for an "Official language" not necessarily a single one, but
> one that is expected to be available in most installations, possibly it
> will be available out of the box from packages. This is to make it
> possible to have a library of scripts, and to allow removing things
> currently implemented in LyX into the official scripting language.
>
> The implementation as I expect it to be, will not force you to use one
> language over the other, only if you want the official scripts you'll
> need the official language. There is a need however to make the
> scripting language easy enough for as many as users as possible so that
> most of the users will not need to have multiple languages in LyX.

That's why I'm glad that GIMP now has two scripting languages.  Scheme
was the official one, but they added the perl module after that.  I
admit I haven't yet learnt how to script for GIMP, but it's far more
likely now, because I don't have to learn a whole new language as well
as learning the GIMP-specific things needed to script GIMP.

So as for languages that people are likely to know, you've got Lisp (for
all those emacs-Lisp folks), and Perl, and the next New Thing, Python.
I don't know about the knowledge-base for Scheme... and I've never heard
of Icon.

Kathryn Andersen
"Thanks to the diligence of the FBI,
this particular vaccuum cleaner will not fall into the wrong hands."
        -- Howard Hughes        (Rocketeer)
--
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/      \    |   <http://www.katspace.com>