----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: LyX + WinME + MikTeX

Hi Christoph,

Thank you very much for your help. I got it much sooner but had to come home to try your points. Here is the outcome.

My installation of LyX dates back to yesterday :) so quite up-to-date.

I got the required files for LyX, put them in a dir and ran setup(from cygwin) and asked it to install from that dir and it recognized the existence of all packages except GS403 !

Now, I did the same to see if it would change anything and it did not recognize anything to be installed! Does the setup check to see if those packages are already installed or not?

Then I manually installed the GS as you said. Excuse me if I am not that good in BASH, but how do I run a shell script like:
SetupGS403.sh ?
I tried a few ways and it didn't run :(

Anyway, the main problem is to follow.

When I installed MikTeX a few weeks ago, their setup program was not complete or for some other reason it did not allow me to do a full install, well when I asked it to do so, it just didn't find any FTP from which I could download so I did a fairly full install :) To be sure that it was not the problem with my case, I reinstalled MikTeX 2.1 today which worked fine and it is now a full full installation.

BUT, the main problem is still there! I open LyX, it seems to be all right, I import a LaTeX file, it creates its own lyx version out of it and then it is the conversion time. I ask it to convert to DVI, PS, whatever, and it says it is doing it and done and so on and so forth (if I manually do not create the DVI (out of LyX), it complains when I ask to export to PS, because no DVI is there but if it is there, it says done and STILL nothing is produced, no DVI, no PS, no PDF.

I am really clueless because it does not complain at all and does not give me a hint of what is missing. At first, when the original configuration was there, it did not find windvi which is normal and I changed it to YAP and it did no more complaints but it could not do the conversion either case!

When I ask to view the dvi that I produced outside LyX, it searches for it in:

c:\cygwin\tmp\lyx_tmpdir766193766193\lyx_tmpbuf0\1.dvi

and not in:

c:\MyFiles\LyX\doc\1.dvi

and when I ask to export to DVI, it creates an EMPTY file in the tmp dir, 1.tex.dep

PART II:

As for the styles, first of all, I've to say that there has never been a LOG file in LyX! I guess it should be there when I try to export a DVI but under no circumstances, a log file was created!

I also copied all those STY files and ran the initexmf -u but nothing changed. My PATH is all right because WinEdt does anything that it is supposed to do (latex, dvips, pdflatex, etc) without complaining.

Anyone please could help me to see where I am going wrong?

Thanks so much for all your attention, Christoph and others as well.

Regards,
m&m