Depending on the format required for your abstract, you could just use Chapter*, or alternatively use something similar to:

\newenvironment{abstract}{%
\titlepage
\begin{center}%
\large
\bfseries \abstractname
\@endparpenalty\@M
\end{center}}%

in the preamble, and use the "book" (probably modified a bit) format.
You should only need to use two page number definitions, one for your front matter, and one at the start of Chapter 1.

Hope this helps.

P. Medwell

-----
Tan Choong Leong wrote:
I am writing my thesis using the "report" class and I am facing the common
problem of page numbering of the "front matter". My front matter includes
the title page, abstract and acknowledgements. Report class does not define
frontmatter and mainmatter, so I have to use a lot of /setcounter{page}{x}
to set the page numbers correctly. Moreover, I have to use
/thispagestyle{plain} to force numbering in the abstract and
acknowledgement.  There is also two /addcontentsline. Currently, there are
still some errors due to these inclusions and I am still figuring out. It
seems that the specific placement of all these ERTs are vital.

My questions are:

1) Is there switches which will make this less painful?
2) Is there a better document class or modified report class that is better
suited for my need? I tried the book class, but there is no abstract and
acknowledgements this class.

Tan Choong Leong (Mr)
Nanyang Technological University
School of Computer Engineering