Hi Timothy,

the solution is not nice (you have to break lines of the title by
hand), but I believe that it could serve your purpose. You can
fiddle with the value of \my@lenaftno, but I am afraid, this is
as good as you can get it.

BTW, when I was in that, I have deleted date in the definition
(so you do not have to fiddle with the non-breaking space in Date
environment).

Timothy J. Garrett wrote:
> May I ask why Koma-script is best for the article class?

a) I am using it, so I know, how to change it :-). (though you
   can do similar things with the standard classes by redefining
   the command \maketitle from the standard article.cls)
b) It has been made with typographical rules in mind (Lesslie
   Lamport is a great programmer, but he did not know much about
   typography).
c) If you want serif characters in section headlines, redefine
   \sectfont:
   \renewcommand*\sectfont{\normalcolor\rmfamily\bfseries}

Have a nice day,

   Matej

--
Matej Cepl,
Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse
every time Congress meets
    -- Will Rogers

#LyX 1.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 221
\textclass scrartcl
\begin_preamble
\newcommand{\mytitleno}{10.2}
\newlength{\my@tmplen} \newlength{\my@ttmplen}
\newlength{\my@lenaftno} \setlength{\my@lenaftno}{0ex}
\settowidth{\my@ttmplen}{\mytitleno}
\setlength{\my@tmplen}{\textwidth}
\addtolength{\my@tmplen}{-\my@ttmplen}
\addtolength{\my@tmplen}{-1ex}
\renewcommand*{\@maketitle}{%
     \clearpage
     \let\footnote\thanks
     \ifx\@extratitle\@empty \else
         \noindent\@extratitle \next@tpage \if@twoside \null\next@tpage \fi
     \fi
     \ifx\@titlehead\@empty \else
         \noindent\begin{minipage}[t]{\textwidth}
         \@titlehead
         \end{minipage}\par
     \fi
     \null
     \vskip 2em%
     {\titlefont\huge
     \par \mytitleno \hspace{\my@lenaftno} %
      \parbox[t]{\my@tmplen}{\centering \@title} \hfill }%
     \vskip 1.5em%
   \begin{center}%
     {\Large
       \lineskip .5em%
       \begin{tabular}[t]{c}%
         \@author
       \end{tabular}\par}%
     \vskip \z@ \@plus 1em
   \end{center}%
   \par
   \vskip 2em}
\end_preamble
\language english
\inputencoding auto
\fontscheme helvet
\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\papersize Default
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 1
\use_amsmath 0
\use_natbib 0
\use_numerical_citations 0
\paperorientation portrait
\leftmargin 1in
\topmargin 1in
\rightmargin 1in
\bottommargin 1in
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 2
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle empty

\layout Title

Effects of Aerosols on the Properties
\newline
of Arctic Clouds
\layout Author

Timothy J.
 Garrett
\begin_inset Foot
collapsed true

\layout Standard

\emph on
Corresponding author address:
\emph default
Timothy J.
 Garrett, 135 S 1460 E, Room 819 Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0110; e-mail:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\end_inset

\begin_inset Formula $\,{}^{1}$
\end_inset

, Xiquan Dong
\begin_inset Formula $^{2}$
\end_inset

, Gerald G.
 Mace
\begin_inset Formula $^{1}$
\end_inset

, Chuanfeng Zhao
\begin_inset Formula $^{1}$
\end_inset

\newline

\begin_inset Formula $^{1}$
\end_inset

University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
\newline

\begin_inset Formula $^{2}$
\end_inset

University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota
\layout Section

Introduction
\layout Standard

\family sans
Aerosols in the Arctic follow a seasonal cycle.
 Concentrations accumulate in winter and spring, reaching a maximum in April,
 rapidly dissipating during summer.
 It has long been recognized that high springtime aerosol concentrations,
 dubbed
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

Arctic Haze
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

, are due to anthropogenic activities.
 More recently it has been suggested that Arctic Haze might indirectly alter
 the surface radiation balance by indirectly increasing cloud albedo (Twomey,
 1991), or emissivity (Garrett et al., 2002).
 The latter effect may be particularly important during spring, when aerosol
 concentrations are high, clouds are sufficiently thin to be gray-bodies,
 and downwelling longwave flux dominates the surface radiation balance.
 Evaluating the effects of aerosols on downwelling surface flux during the
 Arctic spring is difficult since there exist very few
\emph on
in situ
\emph default
measurements during for this period.
 However, detailed surface sampling and remote sensing measurements at the
 North Slope of Alaska (NSA) CMDL and ARM laboratories near Barrow, Alaska
 allow investigation of this issue in the current absence of field programs.
\layout Section

Shortwave and Infrared Cloud Susceptibility
\layout Standard

\family sans
Twomey (1991) derived an expression for the shortwave
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

susceptibility
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

\begin_inset Formula $S_{SW}$
\end_inset

 cloud albedo
\begin_inset Formula $\alpha$
\end_inset

 to changes in droplet concentration
\begin_inset Formula $N$
\end_inset

:
\begin_inset Formula \begin{equation}
S_{SW}=\frac{d\alpha}{dN}=\frac{\alpha(1-\alpha)}{3N}\label{eq:swsusc}\end{equation}

\end_inset

 From this they showed that for the most pristine clouds (e.g.

\begin_inset Formula $N=10\, cm^{-3}$
\end_inset

), the addition of just one
\begin_inset Formula $CCN$
\end_inset

 per cubic centimeter might result in an increase in
\begin_inset Formula $A$
\end_inset

 by 1%.
 For arctic stratus during summer, values of
\begin_inset Formula $S_{SW}$
\end_inset

 range from
\begin_inset Formula $0.6\times10^{-3}\, cm^{-3}$
\end_inset

\begin_inset Formula $2.2\times10^{-3}\, cm^{-3}$
\end_inset

 (Hegg et al., 1996).
\layout Standard

\family sans
In general the energy balance within a cloud can be expressed by
\begin_inset Formula \begin{equation}
\alpha+\varepsilon+t=1\label{eq: energy}\end{equation}

\end_inset

 where,
\begin_inset Formula $\varepsilon$
\end_inset

 is the emissivity and
\begin_inset Formula $t$
\end_inset

 the transmittance of the layer.
 If multiple scattering is ignored (i.e.

\begin_inset Formula $\alpha=0$
\end_inset

), the IR emissivity can be approximated as
\begin_inset Formula \begin{equation}
\varepsilon=1-\exp\left(-\beta Q_{abs}N\bar{r}^{2}\Delta
z\right)\label{eq:eps}\end{equation}

\end_inset

 where,
\begin_inset Formula $\beta$
\end_inset

 is the diffusivity factor,
\begin_inset Formula $Q_{abs}$
\end_inset

the absorption efficiency, and
\begin_inset Formula $\Delta z$
\end_inset

 the depth of the layer.
 For very small droplets (
\begin_inset Formula $r\simeq5\,\mu m)$
\end_inset

,
\begin_inset Formula $Q_{abs}$
\end_inset

 increases nearly linearly with size.
 However, the dependence tapers rapidly as size increases.
 In clean clouds with larger droplets,
\begin_inset Formula $\beta Q_{abs}$
\end_inset

 is nearly constant (Garrett et al., 2002).
 An analogous expression to (
\begin_inset LatexCommand \ref{eq:swsusc}

\end_inset

) for the longwave susceptibility of cloud emissivity to changes in droplet
 concentrations
\begin_inset Formula $S_{LW}$
\end_inset

 is
\begin_inset Formula \begin{equation}
S_{LW}=\frac{d\varepsilon}{dN}=\frac{-\left(1-\varepsilon\right)\ln\left(1-\varepsilon\right)}{3N}\label{eq:lwsusc}\end{equation}

\end_inset

 Fig.

\begin_inset LatexCommand \ref{cap: depsdN}

\end_inset

 illustrates
\begin_inset Formula $S_{LW}$
\end_inset