Owen Lucas wrote:

> I have some questions!
>
> 1 Is the temperature of the pipe wall constant or is it varying along
> its length. It says that is 30deg C above the mean air temperature but
> is this the temperature at that point or is it 30 deg about the mean air
> inlet temperature it 230 deg C.

Everything is at that point. You aren't told where the inlet is after all.

> 2 Does the answer need to be done from first principals?

Depends how clever you first year engineering students are ;-) Anyway, it
transpires that the flow has a Reynolds number of 36000, so the flow will
be fully turbulent anyway. I suspect you'll receive a prize if you can
solve the Navier-Stokes equations analytically.

Here they have been told of correlations valid for fully developed pipe flow
that give Nusselt number as a function of Reynolds number and Prandtl
number.

--
Angus