Hello to all,

> Sorry to bother you all. I conversion works both with windows native or
> cygwin Imagemagick. I had to add an explicit converter in the
> preferences, either to use the cygwin or the windows Imagemagick.
> If not the qt 1.3.2 lyx was looking for the
> /usr/local/share/lyx/scripts/convertDefault.sh (which is cygwin
> installation of lyx 1.3.1) directory. I would have guessed that the
> native version of cygwin should have looke for C:\lyx\share\lyx\scripts\
> since I installed the qt version in C:\lyx\. Why didn't it?
  I still don't get it. I have both the qt version and Henschel's
  cygwin version installed. I read in a few older posts in this
  mailing list that other people had similar problems.

  I started lyx qt 1.3.2 with -dbg graphics in a command line, opened
  a file and tried to display the eps file approxseries1.eps (which is
  a perfect eps file and can be displayed by gsview):

--snip--

Setting debug level to graphics
Debugging `graphics' (Graphics conversion and loading)
Recognised Fileformat: ppm
[GrahicsCacheItem::convertToDisplayFormat]
        Attempting to convert image file: C:/lyx/share/lyx/images/banner.ppm
        with displayed filename: C:/lyx/share/lyx/images/banner.ppm
Recognised Fileformat: ppm

        The file contains ppm format data.

The image loader can load the following directly:
BMP
PBM
PGM
PNG
PPM
XBM
XPM

Of these, LyX recognises the following formats:
bmp, pbm, pgm, png, ppm, xbm, xpm

        No conversion needed (from == to)!
just Loaded.
pixmap isNull 0 xformed_pixmap_ isNull 0
Image loading succeeded.
GraphicsImage::getScaledDImensions()
        params.scale       : 100
        width              : 425
        height             : 290
pixmap isNull 0 xformed_pixmap_ isNull 0
setPixmap()
Token: 'filename'
Token: 'width'
Token: '\end_inset'
Token: 'filename'
Token: 'width'
Token: '\end_inset'
Token: 'filename'
Token: 'width'
Token: '\end_inset'
Token: 'filename'
Token: 'width'
Token: '\end_inset'
Token: 'filename'
Token: 'width'
Token: '\end_inset'
Token: 'filename'
Token: 'width'
Token: '\end_inset'
Token: 'filename'
Token: 'width'
Token: '\end_inset'
Token: 'filename'
Token: 'width'
Token: '\end_inset'
Recognised Fileformat: eps
[GrahicsCacheItem::convertToDisplayFormat]
        Attempting to convert image file: W:/Documents/umichpaper/comment-refere
e/approxseries1.eps
        with displayed filename: W:/Documents/umichpaper/comment-referee/approxs
eries1.eps
Recognised Fileformat: eps

        The file contains eps format data.
Unable to convert from eps to bmp
Unable to convert from eps to pbm
Unable to convert from eps to pgm
Unable to convert from eps to png
Unable to convert from eps to ppm
Unable to convert from eps to xbm
Unable to convert from eps to xpm
        Converting it to ppm format.
Converter c-tor:
        from_file:      W:/Documents/umichpaper/comment-referee/approxseries1.ep
        to_file_base: C:/temp/lyx_tmpdir1956a04060/approxseries11956a04060
        from_format:  eps
        to_format:    ppm
build_script ... ready (edgepath.empty())
        No converter defined! I use convertDefault.sh
        sh C:/lyx/share/lyx/scripts/convertDefault.sh eps:W:/Documents/umichpape
r/comment-referee/approxseries1.eps ppm:C:/temp/lyx_tmpdir1956a04060/approxserie
s11956a04060.ppm
AFPL Ghostscript 8.11 (2003-08-16)
Copyright (C) 2003 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Error: /undefinedfilename in (files\\gs\\gs8.11\\bin\\gswin32c.exe)
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval-
-   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   fa
lse   1   %stopped_push
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1104/1123(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:69/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: No such file or directory
AFPL Ghostscript 8.11: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
AFPL Ghostscript 8.11 (2003-08-16)
Copyright (C) 2003 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Error: /undefinedfilename in (files\\gs\\gs8.11\\bin\\gswin32c.exe)
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval-
-   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   fa
lse   1   %stopped_push
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1104/1123(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:69/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: No such file or directory
AFPL Ghostscript 8.11: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
c:\program files\imagemagick-5.5.7-q16\convert.exe: DPS library is not available
 (W:/Documents/umichpaper/comment-referee/approxseries1.eps).
Image conversion succeeded.
Unable to find converted file!
--snip--

  This log apparently shows that ImageMagick's convert.exe is invoked
  correctly and that convert.exe itself calls gswin32c.exe to handle
  the ps stuff. The ImageMagick path is included in $PATH before
  the Windows system path.
  The last convert.exe message "DPS library not available" is caused
  by ImageMagick looking for an other way to handle ps (as far as I
  know) but DPS is not installed.
  For some reason ghostscript cannot find the file to convert
  ("/undefinedfilename"). I tried different gs versions and different
  windows ImageMagick versions and still it's the same error.
  I also tried changing the temp dir as suggested on the imagemagick
  list (no spaces included) to no effect.
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=imagemagick-user&m=102696364919353&w=2

  A workaround (which doesn't crop eps files to their bounding boxes)
  is adding a converter like
  \converter "eps" "ppm" "gswin32c.exe -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=ppm
  -r72 -sOutputFile=$$o -c save pop -f $$i" ""
  (written in one line in the preferences file).

  As invoking the convert command from command line doesn't work and
  generates the same error message it must be a problem with
  Imagemagick cooperating with ghostscript.
  I know, it's a minor bug and lyx isn't even responsible, but I'd
  really appreciate if somebody had a solution to this problem (or
  some new ideas). The qt interface looks so great that I could
  convince a couple of friends to use lyx easily if just that
  previewing would work.
  It would especially be helpful if people who have a working
  configuration (versions of ImageMagick/GS) could mail details to the
  list.

  TIA

--
Ben Liesfeld