It si probably math-macros what you are looking for.
Basicaly, it is LyX frontend to \newcommand.

It is all well described in the User Guide (Menu>Help>UserGuide), Section 5.6
Usedr defined macros in math mode.

good luck,

Vasek

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 17:10, Davide Cescato wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing a draft for an article and I am still unsure about the
> names of some variables I am going to use in my final version. In order
> to handle this situation, in LaTeX I would define
>
> \newcommand{\ntx}{N_T}
> \newcommand{\nrx}{N_R}
>
> and then use \ntx and \nrx in my formulas whenever needed. If I later
> decide to use M_T instead of N_T, I can just redefine \ntx
> correspondingly without replacing all occurrencies in the document.
>
> I can do the same in LyX, by adding the commands above to the document
> header or as LaTeX code within the document body.
>
> The point is that if I enter math mode and type \ntx\sigma\nrx , LyX
> will replace the LaTeX standard \sigma command with the Greek character,
> but not my custom-defined symbols, which will only appear with their
> command names in red. This makes my formulas almost as unreadable as if
> they were written in plain LaTeX!
>
> Is there a way to make LyX replace my commands as well, as it does with
> the standard LaTeX ones?
>
> Thanks for your suggestions
>
> D.

Ing. Vaclav Smidl, Ph.D.                tel: +420 26605 2420
AS department,  Institute               web: http://www.utia.cas.cz/AS/smidl/
of Information Theory and Automation,   fax: +420 26605 2068
Prague, Czech Republic