On Sunday 10 April 2005 12:57 pm, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Robert Thorsby wrote:
> > Go and buy a (very thin) book on typography and style. The few dollars
> > you spend will be the most valuable investment in your project. The
> > time spent reading that primer will be the most rewarding research you
> > have done.
>
> I think that Steve knows that. However, I think the one cannot
> overemphasize simplicity of changes. Particularly, why \upshape? and why in
> the world you want to have any section in \footnotesize?!

\footnotesize in sans is just a smidgen smaller than \normal in serif, and
actually takes up more horizontal space per character I think. When combined
with the fact that the header is bold, it gives the visual impression of
being bigger. The reason I used \footnotesize is so that I could spread the 3
levels out to make them unmistakable.

> Section command
> should never ever be smaller than body text.
>
> BTW, if you want really good guide to the typesetting than I would strongly
> suggest Phillip Taylor's articles http://www.ntg.nl/maps/pdf/19_10.pdf and
> http://www.ntg.nl/maps/pdf/19_11.pdf . Really good stuff!

Thank you for that. I wish I'd read it before beginning to write, as I would
have written less text. Now that I know to limit it to 70 characters across,
my pagecount balooned from 164 (original target 150) to over 200. Ugh,
shipping!

The abovereferenced pdf files gave me a much better feeling about my varying
thickness horizontal lines. The pdf's strongly urged that header levels be
obvious with combinations of size, bold, and other stuff.

The other thing the pdfs mentioned was that the headlines must be MUCH closer
to the text they introduce than to the text that came before them. That is
not the default in the book document class, so I'll need to do that. I see no
obvious way within sectsty because you control what comes before the text,
but not after. I want to remove the obnoxious empty space AFTER the heading
(which will also provide a handy reduction to my page count). Anyone have an
idea how to do that?

Thanks all for your ideas on aesthetics.

SteveT

--
Steve Litt
Author:

(Legal Disclaimer) Follow these suggestions at your own risk.