Hi Steve;

Now I have some questions...

What is a site key, and what should I put in there? A number? A letter? A string? I assume it needs to be unique.
Its a unique code to a specific reference. I tend to use the first authors surname followed by a number e.g.

 Smith:1

Should the author be Lastname, Firstname MiddleInitial?

In tk bibtex enter the name as it appears e.g.

A.B Clark or as Allen Brian Clark if you have the full name

for two or more authors separate each with:

and

eg A.B Clark and Derek Edward Fish

Is the year the year copyrighted?
Normally it's the year of publication

Why is there no provision to state a page number or chapter number?

enter the page range as:

1 - 99

in page box - needs to be reference type Article (or similar) which provides for page numbers

As for chapter - you would normally enter this when you place a reference into the document.

If it's a website, what reference type do I use. tkbibtex has all sorts of reference types, but "Website" isn't one of them?

When referencing a website, do I put its URL in the URL field?

I tend to place these in the note field. Not sure of my logic on this one though!

What are CROSSREF, CODE, ANNOTE and ABSTRACT for, and do I need to use those just to give credit to the original source of the material?

Crossref is used when an article appears in book or similar and you need to reference both sources. I dont bother too much with this.

Dont bother with the others since most will choke up Bibtex - well I know the abstract field does anyway.

Sometimes I reference a whole book, and sometimes I reference a tiny piece of text out of the book (within the bounds of fair use). How do these differ as far as the bibiliaography?

AFAIK they dont. Reference the book and pp range??

I'll probably have more questions -- this is entirely new to me.

In that case I suggest you have a google around for bib, bibtex, etc. You may find a lot of the FAQs are already answered elsewhere.

Rob S

--

R D Saunders Hydraulic Research Group Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering University of Southampton UK