On Oct 21, 2005, at 8:35 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Paul wrote:

Most of my potential readership is going to be using Adobe Acrobat on
Windows I imagine. So if I use Times, will that be treated as different
from Times New Roman and cause problems for Windows users, or will it
silently substitute the font (possibly causing slight differences in the output?) Is it best for maximum portability to somehow force even standard
fonts to be embedded in PDFs? This is assuming a fairly large document
where the extra space taken by an embedded font wouldn't be significant.

Paul,

I cannot directly address your questions as I gave up trying to completely understand the new font system in LaTeX, and gave up about half-way through the fontinst process. However, I can tell you this: I've had no complaints over the years that I've used Palatino as the base text font in my documents and people have read the pdf output on machines running various flavors of
Microsoft ... or Apple.

If you are willing to spend a few hours (well, more than a few....) with Ph. Lehmannn's FontInstallation Guide, you'll be able to install any Postscript Type 1 font you may desire. It consists of a series of tutorials for Fontinst. On the other hand, if portability is a concern, you should stick to the basic PDF fonts as other have suggested. Acrobat reader

I've also used Bitstream Amerigo as the text font in documents written in OpenOffice.org and exported as pdf files. Again, no client, agency staffer,
or anyone else has complained about a readability issue.

  In brief, it's been a non-issue.

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President | Author of "Quantifying Environmental Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) | Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic" <http://www.appl-ecosys.com> Voice: 503-667-4517 Fax: 503-667-8863

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy                  Ph:  (64) 9 373-7599 x83940
University Of Auckland                  Fax: (64) 9 373-7408
Private Bag 92019                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Auckland
New Zealand