On Monday 17 October 2005 12:12 pm, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My editor's not environment has 2 problems:
>
> 1. I cannot center the word "Editor's Note"

The problem was that I was doing something like this:

\center{Editor's Note}\\%

or this:

\centering{Editor's Note}\\%

Both of the preceding centered not only "Editor's Note", but also everything
that was placed in that environment.

And then I tried this:

\begin{center}Editor's Note\end{center}\\%

That gave a compile error when generating dvi.

What solved the problem was this:

\begin{center}Editor's Note\\%
\end{center}%

Greater minds will tell me why I needed to end centering AFTER the newline --
I just know that it worked.

Also, the addition of the centering code made it impossible to raise or lower
the "Editor's Note" title with respect to the environment's text. So at the
very end of the pre-text code (the first set of braces) I had to put the
following line to raise the environment's text with respect to the "Editor's
Note" title:

 ~\\[-.2in]

Crude, but effective.

> 2. The line spacing on the last paragraph in this environment is spaced
> much wider than other paragraphs in the same environment.

This problem was caused by my post-text part of the LaTeX environment (the
second set of braces). Specifically, I ended the environment like this:

  {%
  \end{tiny}%
  \end{bfseries}%
  \par
  \end{minipage}%
  \\[0.2in]
  }%

What fixed the problem was moving \par to the top:

  {%
  \par
  \end{tiny}%
  \end{bfseries}%
  \end{minipage}%
  \\[0.2in]
  }%

If anyone has ANY idea why reordering like this should eliminate the symptom
of ultra-wide line spacing in the final paragraph of the text in this
environment, please tell me.

Anyway, I now have an Editor's Note environment that's perfect for my book.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist
Webmaster
   * Troubleshooters.Com
   * http://www.troubleshooters.com