--- "Paul A. Rubin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> John Kane wrote:
> > The file is there, all 43K of it, but “sh
configure”
> > simply gives me an error message
> > 'sh' is not recognized as an internal or external
> > command, operable program or batch file.
>
> Ok, when you ran the first test (that worked
correctly), were you in the
> msys\1.0\bin directory?

Yes

>If so, then the combination
> of that working and
> the attempt to run the configure script not working
> would suggest that
> the MinSYS bin directory is not on your command
> path.  I thought, from
> your previous post, that it was, but just to double
> check, what do you
> get if you type 'path' at a command prompt?

Path=C:\Perl\bin\;c:program
files\imanemagick-6.2.5_q16;C:\texmf\miktex\bin;c:\WINDOWS\system32;C:WINDOWS;C;\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:Program
Files\Common Files\MDL Shared\ISIS

I'd forgotten there even were things like Paths. I
have not seen a DOS prompt since I bought a Mac back
in 1988.    BTW is there some way to pipe that DOS
stuff to a text file?  I copied that Path info by
hand.

>> I am
> > still getting the error message that the textclass
> > “XX” is not found but I now at least can see them
in
> > the TeX Information list.
>
> You're seeing them in LyX via View->TeX Information?
>  That's  inconsistent with the textclass not found
messages (assuming that
> textclass XX is in the TeX Information list).

Yes, they are appearing in  View->TeX Information.  I
now have entries for all three categories and
following Steven's advice I have checked and confirmed
that they also are present in the directory ( I did a
dir *cls and got 10 files.)

> > I am unable to print. I did manage to export an
ASCII
> > file!!.
>
> That's a positive step, but since ASCII export does>
not involve LaTeX,
> it's a small positive step.
> >
> > I finally managed to download GSview and it is now
> > refusing to install and giving me the error
message:
> > Failed to add PS file association
>
> That's likely to be a consequence of not installing
> rather than an  indication of the root cause.  Does
it give any
> indication prior to that > of why it's not
installing?

Not that I have seen so far. It looks okay to me (but
what do I know?) until it simply reports that it
cannot add the file association.  The log is at
http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/LyX/GSinstallscript.pdf
if you want to take a look.

>(On a side note, have> you considered
> sacrificing a small furry animal to the gods of
computing before > installing things?  Works for me.)

Small furry animal be damned, I'm considering
something like a black bear.  I'm a bit too far south
for a moose.

John Kane, Kingston ON  Canada