>>>Modern installs of LyX store the config "Lyx" directory under yourusername.

>>I checked and it was not there before installation. Unfortunately it is
>>not there after either.

>SH: If you have LyX installed now, then there is a new one there
>now or LyX is not installed. It is good that the old one is gone.

>Paul had some hunch about pdf

Yes, I checked out his suggestion and my file looked okay.

You mentioned a possible problem with R . I had uninstalled it so I expect that it was not a problem but who knows. I'bm beginning to think I should consult the augurs.  Sheep livers probably are just as comprehensible as DOS error messages.  It also is an newer version than the one mentioned in your mail
I have never loaded RWinEdt so it should not be a problem.  R comes with a base installation and one can then load all sorts of packages for it. RWinEdit is just one of them. I had never even heard of it before. I may have to look into it :)  The current R-2.2.0 does not come with any .tex files that I can find.
Rd.sty currently resides in c:\Program Files\R\R-2.2.0\share\texmf.  Exactly what this may mean I don't know.  However it goes when I uninstall R which Idid yesterday.  Of course it's back today. Takes all of 30 seconds to install-almost as fast as MikTeX.
As far as I can tell my tex list matches the screen shot that you included.
I am unsure from your last posts if you want me to try the -e compatibiltiy mode however I gave it a try and
>To force MiKTeX to use e-TeX in compatibility mode, follow these steps:
>1. Run the MiKTeX options program, choose the TeX formats page, and
>then for each program that you want in compatibility mode (e.g. latex,
pdflatex, etc.)  do the following:
>2. Click on the Edit button,
>3. Choose "e-TeX compatibility mode" as the compiler,
>4. Click Apply,
5. Click Build"
Results of this is the same error message, as before, when trying an updatewhich comes down basically to
"initexmf: The file "latex.efmt" could not be found."
And as far as I can tell latex.efmt is not on my hard drive
BTW I have not been able to find a Lyx file in the Applications Data file under User after I have installed, created and saved  a file in Lyx.
ARRGH!
John Kane, Kingston ON  Canada