Gunnar wrote:

I'm trying to setup a perfect LyX environment in MS windows for users that is not very used to LyX/LaTeX.

Have you tried the brand new installer?:

http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyXWinInstaller

The problem I have right now is that they make drawings in MS paint. The question: is there any way to make LyX convert png/gif pictures to eps automatically? They display the pictures fine , but I can't produce any output in pdf files.

You inserted the png/images directly to LyX and used then the menu Export/View -> PDF(pdflatex), right? If yes you have a broken LyX-installation becuase all needed conversions should automatically be done by LyX. Does it helps when you add the path to the file "convert.exe" in the file "convertDefault.sh" (which is in LyX's folder "scripts")?

Btw. PDF can directly include jpg, png, and pdf-files. If you use eps-files they must be converted to pdf first. Normally this does LyX for you but it increases the compiling time when you create a PDF-document with many images. Better use one of the three formats above.

regards Uwe