Horacio Emilio Pérez Sánchez wrote:

> I have a 60 pages lyx document with a lot of figures (raster colour
> figures in jpg format)

a- the size of the figures changes in the output when I use pdflatex. And the most strange is that it happens sometimes; if after I render to "View-->PDF" and I come back to "View-->PDF(pdflatex)" again, sometimes (not always) the figures have the right size, like in the "View-->PDF" output.

"View-->PDF" produces at first a Postscript-file and then a PDF. That means the jpg-images are converted to EPS (for Postscript) and then to PDF-images. That's the reason for the long rendering time. pdflatex generate directly a pdf and jpg-images can be included in PDF without file format conversion. If you first use "View-->PDF", the converted images are stored in LyX's temp directory and are possibly used when you use another PDF creation method. So reopen the document and use only pdflatex - is the result then better?

For more infos about this have a look at section 2.7.2 of the file:

http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/LyX/LyXDevelDocumentation/UserGuideNV.pdf
(from http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/DocumentationDevelopment )

b- my files are 16 bit coloured. With "View-->PDF" they appear correctly, but with "View-->PDF(pdflatex)" colours change strangely, and it seems there is a loss in the colour depth.

pdflatex don't change/convert jpg-images, so this is strange. You could try to update your LaTeX-distribution and/or pdflatex if this is possible.

If you have problems with the image quality when they are converted, you can open the file "convertDefault.sh" in LyX's "scripts" directory and change the line

convert -depth 8 "$1" "$2" || {

convert "$1" "$2" || {

or to

convert -depth 16 "$1" "$2" || {