On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 16:42:04 +0100 (CET)
"H. Peter Gumm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for all the advices to my mail. Most of the problem
> solutions I knew, my point was to suggest making the default
> behaviour for the windows version of LyX "reasonable" without
> the need to tweak the system and to scan the FAQs.
>
> On the unsolved points ....
>
> Helge Hafting wrote:
>
> > Turn the preview off.  Then the formulas remain in the size used
> > when editing them.  Perhaps not as pretty, but ok nonetheless.
>
> I need instant preview because I am using xypic extensively.
> As my first LyX-project I wrote a manual on how to use xypic in LyX:
>  http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~gumm/LyX/xypic/xypic.pdf
> Without instant preview for xy-figures I would not see a compelling
> reason for myself to use LyX. I guess I would have used AuCTeX,
> TeXMacs or just stayed with WinEdt.

I think this should be possible somehow. lyxpreview2ppm.py takes as a second
argument a scale factor. I also seem to remember a menu entry or settings file
option that controls the scale factor but I can't seem to find it now.

> > The bitmapped fonts are ok - the problem is the broken acrobat
> > reader so many uses.  Printing the pdf will actually be fine.  Many
> > people don't make pdf's - they don't need a different default.
>
> I threw away the new Acrobat Professional and reinstalled the older
> one Acrobat 5.0. It is much faster, has everything I need and its
> menu structure is better organized. I hear from many people who did
> likewise.
>
> > Use "update dvi" instead then.  It updated the file, and your dvi
> > viewer will then reload the new file automatically.  (If it doesn't,
> > then surely
> > it has a button or menu for doing that.)
>
> C-d is the default action from the View-menu. I just suggest that S-C-d would
> be a better default
>
> >>  = Going back to LyX I sometimes do it by doubleclicking the .lyx-file
> >> again.
> >>    This opens a new LyX on the same file. At the end I discover that I have
> >>    several LyXes open on the same file. Oops!! Which one do I want to save
> >> now ?
> >>
> > Don't do that - it is an approach that doesn't work with lyx.  Switch
> > to the running lyx instead - it isn't hard to do on windows.
>
> Well, thanks for telling. However, this happens unintentionally. In the
> Windows
> programs I am used to, this never causes a problem. Why should I have a
> problem
> with LyX ?

This requires checking for a running session and checking for the open
documents. Its not completely trivial, especially if you want to do it in a
way that is cross platform. Probably the simplest way is to use a singleton and
implement multiple windows in lyx which is probably also not that simple.

> > It is common in most editors _in windows_, which isn't the main
> > platform for lyx.  Still, it can be done if you can interest a developer
>
> Yes, if you want to make LyX popular under Windows, this should be adapted.
> Also, it would be nice if C-v from the Windows Clipboard would work. It took
> me a while to find the LyX-equivalent Edit-> Paste external selection

That is an issue with the fact that lyx works with the underlying latex which
makes treating newlines ambiguous without specific instructions from the user
(not to mention handling images and such).

> That said, LyX is a great system and I'll keep advertising it.
>
> H.Peter

>  at the Tel-Aviv University CC.

 This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
 at the Tel-Aviv University CC.