On Saturday 10 December 2005 02:12 pm, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just went to write O2, as in two oxygen atoms stuck together, and saw
> > no provision for superscripting the 2, at least not on the
> > Format->Character dialog box. There was also no subscript. I know this
> > can't be true -- how do I do it?
> >
> > I'm using LyX 1.3.3.
>
> You can insert a subscript with insert --> special character --> subscript.
> It is a hack that will create a math inset with a subscript.
> Or you can use in ERT O\textsuperscript{2}
>
> The two solutions are not typographically equivalent, the superscript is
> not placed at the same place. For abreviations superscripts like 12th for
> example, or Mr. Dr., use textsuperscript for chemical symbols use a
> mathematical inset.
>
> I wish the actual superscript and subscript hacks could go away. They are a
> pain when you export a LyX file to rtf (they are transformed in
> mathematical formulas) and result in wrong typesetting. Lyx should default
> to \textsuperscript and \textsubscript

Thanks Charles,

I tried these both, and they both worked. I chose the
Insert->Specialcharacter->superscript method for 2 reasons:

1) The 2 was visible in the LyX file, which is more clear
2) The 2 was bigger, which in this case I liked.

Thanks so much for the help.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist
Webmaster
   * Troubleshooters.Com
   * http://www.troubleshooters.com