----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Pourciau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "LyXFolks" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: What do you guys prefer

Every book in my office and every book at my home, fiction and nonfiction, has justified text, the only exceptions being some children's books, in particular the ones with just a sentence or two on each page, which are set ragged right. When the text width is very narrow or the font size very large -- if the text is set in columns, for example, or on a page of advertising -- then ragged right avoids the uneven word spacing and reduces the number of hyphens that justified text would produce. All monospaced fonts and some unserifed faces look better on the page in ragged right, even at normal text widths. In general, though, publishers set texts in justified type, except in rare cases.

If you decide to set ragged right, make sure your word processor does an "honest rag," with a fixed word space and no hyphenation. Some programs, if left to their own devices, will vary the word spaces and hyphenate even in ragged right. Robert Bringhurst, in The Elements of Typographic Style, says this makes the "text look like a neatly pinched piecrust. This approach combines the worst features of justification with the worst features of ragged setting, while eliminating the principal virtues of both."

Bruce