Eyal Rozenberg wrote:

>> I have cygwin installed, and I've tried to install Windows LyX

>> 1.3.7, with all binary paths pointing to the relevant cygwin files

>> (except for GScript which is installed separately). However, the

>> installation gives me some error message about not being able to

>> run a configuration script, then whenever I start LyX I get:

>> LyX wasn't able to find its layout descriptions Check that the file

>> textclass.lst is installed correctly

>> in a dialog, and the console says

>> LyXTextClassList::Read: unable to find textclass file `'. Exiting.

>> I can't find that file anywhere; what to do?

>> Eyal Rozenberg

Paul> Apologies if this shows up twice -- I answered this morning, but

Paul> apparently the dog ate my message.

Paul> It's possible that the versions of some of the utility programs

Paul> installed by Cygwin are incompatible with the LyX configuration

Paul> script. I have not updated my Cygwin installation in a long

Paul> time, but I know that I had that problem a year or so ago.  In

Paul> particular, LyX installation is sensitive to the version of sed*

Paul> (earlier versions of sed choke on carriage return/linefeed

Paul> combinations used to terminate lines in the configuration

Paul> files).

Paul> One possible solution is to install MinSYS.  You may need to

Paul> make sure that the MinSYS bin directory is ahead of the Cygwin

Paul> bin directory on the Windows command path.  Another possibility,

Paul> if you have not upgraded Cygwin recently, is to do so now.

Paul> HTH,

Paul> /Paul

Stephen Harris (SH) had previously written:

"In the past the sh.exe which comes with Cygwin has not been the

same version which works that is provided by Minsys to install LyX."

SH now writes: Thanks for the correction to sed*

the documentation is confusing:

From the Emacs&Auctex(11.82) downloaded configure.bat

rem For reference, here is a list of which builds of gmake are known to

rem work or not, and whether they work in the presence and/or absence

rem of sh.exe.

rem

rem                                       sh exists     no sh

rem  cygwin b20.1 make (3.75):            okay[1]       fails[2]

rem  MSVC compiled gmake 3.77:            okay          okay

rem  MSVC compiled gmake 3.78.1:          okay          okay

rem  MSVC compiled gmake 3.79.1:          okay          okay

rem  mingw32/gcc-2.92.2 make (3.77):      okay          okay

rem  cygwin compiled gmake 3.77:          okay[1]       fails[2]

rem  cygwin compiled gmake 3.78.1:        okay          fails[2]

rem  cygwin compiled gmake 3.79.1:        couldn't build make[3]

rem

rem [1] doesn't cope with makefiles with DOS line endings, so must

rem     mount emacs source with text!=binary.

SH: Cygwin used to come with a LyX install files, but no longer.

I finally got Supercite working, regards,

Stephen