Thanks to Jean-Pierre, here is the solution. I post it here for future
reference :

Lyx cannot use utf8 (yet). So, the charset ISO-8859-1 has to be available for
your locale. For example, if you're using fr_FR (Language = French, Country =
France) ,

$ locale -a | grep fr_FR

should show something like

fr_FR
fr_FR.iso88591
fr_FR.utf8

If the iso88591 line is missing, you have to re-generate the locales. For
(k)ubuntu and debian, this is done with

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

and select fr_FR.iso-8859-1 in the list.

BTW, apparently it is not necessary to have it as your _default_ locale,
though.

Le Mercredi 19 Avril 2006 11:26, Jean-Pierre Chretien a écrit :
> >>From: Nicolas Dubuit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>To: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
> >>Subject: LyX 1.4.x user interface : problem with accented characters.
> >> (fr_FR) Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:16:26 +0200
> >>

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I installed LyX 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 on kubuntu Breezy (French).
> >>
> >>My problem is I can't get the accented characters in the interface to
> >> show up properly. This looks like a character encoding error (utf8
> >> interpreted as iso-8859-1 or opposite) but I couldn't find where to set
> >> this up.
> >>
> >>btw I opened /usr/share/lyx/ui/default.ui with kuiviewer - it shows
> >> nicely there.
> >>
> >>I added a screenshot which is probably more explicit than anything I can
> >>write. The 2nd and 4th menu options are clearly not what one would
> >> expect.
> >>
> >>Does someone have a trick concerning this?
>
> Take a look at this thread in the devel list, it seems that you must
> change your locale from utf to latin until version 1.5
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.devel/47364/focus=47376

             Nicolas Dubuit  (+33 4 42 25 40 25)
   CEA-Cadarache bat.513 / 13100 ST PAUL LEZ DURANCE CEDEX