Sam Lewis wrote:
Stephen Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

Regarding the C:\Aspell limitation to portability, perhaps the
dos subst or label command would serve as a workaround. Suppose
your USB drive was "J", then

label J: C:

I think would change J:\Aspell into C:\Aspell
if not perhaps the subst command would suffice called from J:

Thanks for this Stephen! Sounds interesting. I've no experience with dos
commands, but does subst not require adding a line to a file in the root
directory, which appears to defeat portability? Likewise, does the "label"
command not require admin rights too?

I don't think this will work. Assuming you had Aspell installed on the memory stick, and assuming the memory stick was installed as drive J:, you would need to use 'subst c: j:' (and would need to have Aspell installed in J:\Aspell). The problem, though, is that the subst command would map *all* reads of C: to J: -- which means the OS would be looking for all the Windows files, etc. on J. My guess is that this would render the system unusable until you rebooted, but I'm just guessing.

If you have write privileges on the host systems, what about modifying the lyx.bat batch file (I assume this is what you use to start LyX) to copy the Aspell directories from the memory stick to C:\Aspell (assuming it was not already installed) before launching LyX itself? You could also write a small batch file to delete C:\Aspell when you were done.

/Paul