Steve Litt wrote:
On Tuesday 02 May 2006 04:37 pm, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

  If so, the trick is to position the cursor at the very beginning of
the title, type

optional-insert

in the minibuffer (which opens an inset labeled 'opt'), then type a
short title into the inset.  The short title is used in the header.

Thanks Paul,

Here's my next question. In my latest book, "Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting", the Part title appears in the header of the verso (even) page, and the chapter title appears on the recto (odd) header. Two of my other books have the chapter title on the recto header and the section title on the verso header. Can I use your technique to shorten the header appearance of part and chapter titles too, and if so, would the shortened titles appear in the table of contents?

Whether you can use optional-inset may depend on the LyX layout file you're using, although I'm not sure about this. LaTeX supports an optional short title for \part and \chapter, as well as \section and lower level divisions. I tried inserting them in a dummy document using the standard book class, and LyX 1.4.1 let me put in the short title for a chapter but not for a part (optional-insert was disabled there). You can't just use ERT to insert a short title; LyX thinks it's part of the full title.

If you follow the chain of inclusions starting from the book.layout file, you get to stdsections.inc, which (if I read it correctly) has optional-argument enable for chapters but disabled for parts. So you could hack that file to turn on optional-argument, and then you could supply a short title for a part.

As far as the headings go, I suspect that depends on how you're generating those headings in the first place -- whether you're using fancy headers, for instance, and if so how they're defined in the preamble.

/Paul