Andre Poenitz wrote:
On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 02:51:22PM +0200, Georg Baum wrote:
Sarah Gray wrote:

Hello,

I have recently been given a laptop that runs Windows XP with Service Pack
2. I just downloaded LYX but I have a problem. When I attempt to open my
documents from my CD, I get only a read only version. I am not very
computer savvy. How can I make my files so that I can actually work on
them?
Copy them to your hard drive first, or save them from within LyX with
File->Save As on your hard drive. Files on a CD are not writable, so LyX
prevents you from editing them.

Which is a pretty stupid thing to do.
If I just want some minor changes to cut&paste someplace else it is
ridiculous to require a SaveAs first.

Andre'

If LyX is going to allow editing from a read-only source, then a number of things are probably going to have to be recoded: how to handle timed backups if a separate backup directory was not specified; what to do if the user attempts to export the document; and perhaps a few others I'm not thinking of right now. Clearly it could be done, but is it a good use of the developers' time (meaning: how often do people need to load from a read-only source)?

/Paul