Leuven, E. wrote:
Dear LyX-users,

On the developers list we are presently discussing default behavior with respect to how lines are set when inserting a new tabular.
There is some reluctance to change default behavior even if the rationale
behind the default is not that clear.

To move the discussion forward I would like to know what default lyx-users
would prefer when they insert a tabular:

1. The current line settings
2. A blank tabular (ie no lines set)

Thanks for letting me know.

Edwin

As I indicated on the developer list, given those two choices, I would (much) prefer the second. Given the diversity of responses, though (approximately evenly split between 1, 2 and what I would characterize as "neither of the above"), I think we're seeing support for a user-configurable default option.

With things like margins and line spacing in the document settings dialog, we have an option to "Save as Document Defaults". Perhaps the same could be used with the table dialog (in other words, manually configure lines once and save that configuration as the default).

Alternatively (and not mutually exclusively), the table dialog could offer a few alternatives: all lines; no lines; single horizontal line after first row; ...

Happily making work for the developers,
/Paul