I have always just typed my references directly into LyX, using the bibliography environment, but now a journal tells me they don't have the expertise to alter the plain [1], [2] citation style to their house style, which is

Smith, B. (1980) The article name. The journal name, volume, page range.
(Smith, 1980, p. 14)

in the reference list and in the text, respectively. So I guess this is going to force me into using BibDesk (which came in my MacTeX installation) together with LyX. I've been looking through the mail archives and the web, but have not found just a simple step-by-step set of instructions for using BibDesk with LyX.

Any help for this bibliographic novice would be much appreciated.

Bruce