On Sunday 18 June 2006 06:21 pm, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > In several places in my latest book I need to insert tab indented
> > outlines. Here's an example:
> >
> > Whole program
> >     Initialize
> >             Open input file for read
> >             Open output file for write
> >     Copy
> >             loop
> >                     Read input record
> >                     Copy to output buffer
> >                     Translate characters
> >                     Write output record
> >     Finalize
> >             Close input file
> >             Close output file
> >             Print ending message
> >
> > How do I do that in LyX in such a way that I don't get too much space
> > between lines, and it's obvious that this outline is a think in itself
> > and not just part of the flow of the document?
>
> I don't know if there's a slick way of doing it, but the attached
> example seems to get the desired end result (albeit with a high degree
> of tedium).  You can experiment with the \setlength commands in the
> preamble to adjust the spacing (see, for instance,
> http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/latex2e-html/l
>tx-260.html for a list of lengths you can play with).  If you're doing this
> often enough, it might be worth modifying a layout to include the new list
> environment.

Thanks Paul,

That works perfectly, and I could make a LyX environment to eliminate the ERT.
As it turned out, I just used the itemize environment for this particular
application, but your example showed me how to directly translate my tab
indented outline into LyX with a simple Ruby script.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm