Andrew Harrington wrote:
I am new to Lyx and have no LaTeX experience. I am writing a sequence of Python tutorials in a book document. I tried switching from default book to AMS book because it supports numbered exercises and examples, however in the AMS system, each exercise appears to generate a new section number. I do not want exercises to alter the section numbering. I would ideally like exercises to either be numbered sequentually throughout the whole tutorial, or probably better, start again from 1 in each chapter or maybe section. Something viewable easily in LyX would be good, though I am willing to handle my first ERT's.

Help appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy Harrington

If you put the following in the document preamble, exercises should be numbered within sections (but I think with the section number included):

\newtheorem{xcc}{Exercise}[section]
\renewcommand{\xca}{\xcc}

/Paul