Rich Shepard wrote:

>    Why? It's available as a package when needed, just like all the other
> packages that some writers occasionally need. For example, in the preamble
> you might include \usepackage{} for various features needed in one
> document, but not all, so it's better that they be handled on an ad hoc
> basis.

Rich, in general I agree, but multirow is a bit special: You have to use
dirty tricks like putting a % in an ERT box in some cells if you want to
use the \multirow command in LyX tables (and don't want to set the whole
tables as ERT).
So it would really be useful to have native multirow support, but the day
has only so many hours and the number of LyX developers is small.

Georg