Steve Harris wrote:

I have LyX 1.4.2 installed and alt-f4 kills lyx but not cmd.exe
My keyboard requires using an F-lock key to enable standard features.

Hmm. I was going to ask John and Ed whether alt-F4 kills programs other than LyX that are being run in shells (rather than as native Windows apps) (if I'm expressing that distinction correctly). My suspicion was that maybe failure to kill cmd.exe implied inability to kill anything running in a shell. However, if alt-F4 kills LyX and not cmd.exe for you, that shoots a hole in my theory.

I just tried Start->Run->Command to get the old backward-compatibility command shell. Alt-F4 won't kill that for me (I get a nag screen from Windows saying I might lose data and asking if I'm sober). I'm not sure what, if anything, that implies.

Stranger and stranger ...

/Paul