Sven Schreiber wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Paul.

I loaded your document into LyX 1.4.1 here (Win XP, MiKTeX but *not*
Texniccenter), substituted a PNG file I have (you didn't attach yours),
and viewed it via pdflatex with no problem.  I routinely use PNG images
in PDF files and have not had LyX hang.

Turns out that it doesn't have anything to do with png; for me the hang
is reproducible for any new document if I have a graphics in there
(doesn't matter if eps or png), *and* have the font set to Palatino!

This is really weird because:
1. pdflatex by hand works for me
2. lyx with palatino (w/o graphics) works for me
3. lyx with graphics (and times for example) works for me
4. for Paul everything works also with lyx

???? What could it be?

Thanks for help, else I'm going to file a bug report.

The only thing I can suggest is to start lyx with -dbg all, try to View->PDF (pdflatex) a file with graphics and Palatino, and see if anything helpful is displayed in the shell window at the point where LyX goes catatonic.

/Paul