Rich Shepard wrote:
I must be missing something simple here, so please be gentle when you clue
me in.

  The mechanism for providing hyphenation hints to LaTeX is to put {\-} at
acceptable word breaks. However, when a URL is entered (\usepackage{url} in
the preamble) with \url{some/long/text/here.html}, the hyphenation break is
seen as just more characters to be typeset literally.

  What's the magic incantation to suggest hyphenation breaks within a URL?

Thanks,

Rich

I don't think hyphenating a URL is a good idea, since the dash character is legal in a URL (so is that a hyphen, or a dash, asks the reader). Hints/instructions for using url.sty are stashed at the end of the file (not what I'm used to with LaTeX packages, but so be it). In particular, look for the description of \UrlBreaks and \UrlBigBreaks, which control where long URLs are broken.

If you want to specify break points yourself, you might try loading with the package with the [obeyspaces,spaces] options (also described in url.sty) and then inserting spaces where you want breaks.

/Paul