Eric Inazaki wrote:
Does lyx choke (i.e. fail to start) when it's installed in
"C:\Program Files" directory?  This is with lyx 1.4.2 and
Windows 2000, by the way.

No, it works fine from C:\Program Files\...

This happened to me on my first
installation attempt.  I tried reinstalling to "C:\" and that
works okay.  Looking through some of these older messages, it
seems that some folks don't have a problem installing to
"Program Files". If that's true, then what gives?

Did it give you a message about not finding class files? There have been instances where LyX installed properly but the configuration script failed, and subsequently LyX would not start because it could not find the requisite configuration information. (But it would at least display the GUI and cough up a message to that effect.)

A suggestion, if lyx really does have a problem being installed in
"Program Files" then it'd be nice if that fact were well publicized
(I found no mention of it on the lyx homepage, nor on the wiki).
Also, when I did it, the default installation directory was
"C:\Program Files", this should probably be changed.

Really?  On my systems, I think it defaulted to C:\Program Files\lyx14
 (not positive, since I changed from the default).

By the way, were you logged in with administrator permissions when you attempted the installation?

/Paul