Dear Mr. Baum and Mr. Rubin,

Thanks for your help. It appears I have some of the class files, but I am
missing many of the other classes. I seem to have many layout files without
corresponding class files. Still, some of the class files I have don't
appear to work. Do they all need to be in a particular directory?

Sincerely,
Dan Kaplan

On 10/11/06, Paul A. Rubin < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dan Kaplan wrote:
> I am a new user of LyX and I'm confused about something: the User's
Manual
> is formatted as scrbook, but when I go to the Document>Settings window,
LyX
> says scrbook (as well as most of the other layouts) is unavailable. I'm
> confused about this, since it appears that the scrbook.layout file is in
> the
> layout folder. Why isn't LyX registering the fact that it has scrbook
(and
> all the other layouts, too)? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Dan Kaplan

You need four things to all go right in order to use a document class:

1.  you need the class installed in LaTeX;
2.  you need the class *visible* in LaTeX (i.e., the LaTeX database has
been refreshed);
3.  you need the layout file installed; and
4.  LyX needs to know that stuff is there (meaning that LyX needs to be
reconfigured and restarted if any of the above change).

How does your installation stack up against that checklist?

/Paul