--- "Paul A. Rubin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> John Kane wrote:
>

> >> If you have acroread32 set as the viewer for PDF
> (pdflatex), that would
> >> explain why View->PDF (pdflatex) now calls
> Acrobat Reader.  Otherwise,
> >> it's probably the same phenomenon that causes
> your car to do strange
> >> things until you get a mechanic to look at it, at
> which point it
> >> abruptly sobers up and drives straight.
> >
> > I may have done that in the install, remove
> install
> > sequence.  How to I find out? I don't see anything
> > obvious about setting a PDF reader.
>
> Tools -> Preferences ... -> File formats lists all
> the file formats LyX
> recognizes.  For each, you can specify a program to
> display it in the
> Viewer: field.  (If the program is not on your
> system command path, you
> can either specify a full path here or add the path
> to it to Tools ->
> Preferences ... -> Paths -> PATH prefix.)  After
> adding a viewer, click
> Modify and then Save.

Aha, I see the adobe path in PATH.  The viewer command
is simply PDFview.cmd . If I change the path will that
give me a new PDF reader?

Thanks

> > Car? What's a car? I ride a bicycle, mind you I
> still
> > get strange noises from it but the mechanic
> usually
> > can find an expensive cure.
>
> A car is a replacement for a team of horses, the
> main purposes being to
> (a) find a way to consume more expensive fuel and
> (b) trade methane
> exhaust for carbon exhaust.  (A side benefit is that
> cars tend to leak
> fluids rather than solids.)
>
> /Paul

I take it you have not known a lot of horses?  They
leak solids and fluids (and methane too come to think
of it.  On the other hand petting horse is much more
rewarding than petting a car (or even my roadbike )