Hi all,

All my books contain, interspersed throughout regular text, boxes breaking out
special stuff. The boxes are centered and have slightly narrower margins than
the rest of the text. Each box has a large box title on the top line, and the
text of the message to the reader in the rest of the box. Titles are often
things like NOTE, TIP, WARNING, CAUTION, but often are completely ad-hock
text, which is why I can't simply create an environment for each.

Ideally title and text would go in a minipage, which I can make shaded. In
fact, I could do that by setting the title text with ERT, and then putting
the box text in a box environment which prints the title (which was declared
in ERT) before printing the text.

The trouble with that approach is the title won't be seen in the LyX GUI,
which confuses me as an author.

Another approach is to use an environment that has an argument. However, I
know of no way that LyX can pass an arbitrary argument (as opposed to one
fixed within the LyX environment declaration) to the LaTeX environment.

What I'd REALLY like is a way to make an environment, call it \boxtitle, that
does nothing but use any text within that environment to set a variable. Then
the box environment, call it \box, would simply turn that text into a title
within a minipage.

Meanwhile, within LyX itself, \boxtitle (actually the LyX environment that
calls it), would look like just another environemnt and show up perfectly in
LyX.

So does anyone know a way to create a LaTeX environment that, instead of
printing the text it's applied to, sets a variable with the text it's applied
to? If not, does anyone know another way to do what I need to do?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware