John Kane wrote:
Ah so there it is. Thanks

However I don't seem much further ahead.  When I
select the Export > Open Document command I  end up
with nothing\  that resembles a OpenOffice.org (odt)
file which I what I was expecting.
This is a fault. LyX is supposed to provide the conversion
option only if the conversion software exists on your pc.

And if it fails, it is supposed to at least give you an error
message.

LyX does OpenDocument conversion by first
exporting a latex file, and then running something like
htlatex on that.

You can have a look at tools->preferences->converters,
look at the entry for Latex(plain)->OpenDocument

Now copy the command there, and paste it into
a cmd.exe session.  (Export a latex file before you
do this.) Try executing the command,
with the name of your latex file in place
of the "$$i".
Then tell us what happened, perhaps we can help you further
or find out what is wrong. Either the conversion works,
or you get the same problem but this time with
some error messages printed in the cmd.exe window.

My guess is that the htlatex program is installed wrong
or misconfigured, so it don't work properly. Reinstalling
it (or whatever software package it is that provides it)
might help also.

Helge Hafting