B. Bogart wrote:
Hey all,

I've attempting to install latex2rtf (as recommended by Jürgen) on
ubuntu (feisty), but the package depends on tetex and not texlive (what
is currently installed on my machine)

What is the different between the TeXs?

Is there anything in latex2rtf that depends on one or the other? or
should I email the latex2rtf maintainer and ask about texlive support..?

Support for tetex by its original developer (packager?) has ended, over a year ago: http://www.tug.org/tetex/ All distributions of linux will, eventually, stop using tetex, so it would be a good idea to do so. Texlive is, in my opinion, a better distribution anyway; it is faster and seems to be better-organized. Some time ago I ran into problems with lyx and tetex's babel package, which was not really meant for the tex version it had. Switching to texlive fixed the problem.

I have latex2rtf installed on my machine, which uses debian-lenny. It did not ask anything about tetex, which is not installed on my machine.

If there is a newer version of ubuntu, it should fix that problem, or you could manually install the debian package. I would guess that you could just tell ubuntu to install latex2rtf without worrying about the dependencies, and it will probably work fine.

--

David L. Johnson

Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front of
enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of them would
reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare.  The internet has
proven this not to be the case.