Thanks to Sven Hoexter´s Debian package I was able to switch from 1.4.5 to
1.5.3 without any problems.
I had this small inconvenience already with the older version and thought it
might have been gone in the new one. It is, however, not gone.

If I go to navigate > list of figures, I get the figures up to 184, but not
more (there are in my case around 450). Is there a way of shifting the figure
list so that the remaining figure captions can be seen and selected? If not,
would it be a large amount of work for the developers (thanks again for all
their work!!) to use smaller distances between the lines so that at least
twice as many figure legends could be displayed?

Wolfgang