I've seen people asking for a simple way to enter accents and graves,
and the discussion here goes off into a configuration of the keyboard
and the X server.  I think you are misleading people a little bit.

I'm here to remind users that reconfiguring to use COMPOSE is
unnecessary, at least if you don't need to enter special symbols very
frequently.  I need accents only occasionally, and I often forget how
this is done.  I learned this trick from a docuement that was called
"Lyx Programmer's Guide" (or similar name) that was, apparently, never
officially published with LyX.  I can't find it today.  But, while
googling, I've noticed the easy way is explained in the LyX wiki in
the bottom of this page:

http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyxFunctions

To see an example, just open lyx and hit alt-x and it opens a small
function bar at the bottom of the LyX display.  In there, one can type
commands.  To test, type

accent-acute a

when you hit enter, you should see the character you want in the text.

Honestly, I don't think we should encourage users to try for the
compose key solution before we point out this much simpler way to get
accents and other symbols for nonEnglish language documents.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science