William R. Buckley wrote:
A good LaTeX resource is helpful for a serious LyX user. For an under-bar, use \underline in math mode. \overline gives an over-bar.

Looking for all such information.  Can't really afford to buy the book by
Knuth, and since he won't allow one to process the public source, I
guess I have to find alternative means to acquire the *knowledge of
minutia* that seems concomitant with TeXspeak and TeXpublishing.

You don't really need to read the TeX book, though there is this:
ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/info/impatient/book.pdf
and
http://www.eijkhout.net/tbt/
and
http://www.ctan.org/get/info/gentle/gentle.pdf
and
http://makingtexwork.sourceforge.net/mtw/
LaTeX is really what you want, and there you have:
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/latex/ltx-tar.html
and all of this:
http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/
including:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf
and maybe especially this:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/latex4wp/latex4wp.pdf
and, if you do what I do,
http://www.phil.cam.ac.uk/teaching_staff/Smith/LaTeX/
And at least on my system, /usr/share/texmf/doc/ is just FILLED with information, all of it indexed at
/usr/share/texmf/doc/helpindex.html
on my system, again. You probably have something similar. But if you get serious about LaTeX, then you really will want to find a way to get ahold of the /Guide to LaTeX/ and /The LaTeX Companion/.

rh