Steve Litt wrote:
Hi all,

Hello Steve,

In the 7 years I've used LyX, every book had its own layout, and every single time, I spent hours tweaking around trying to get my layout visible to the document so that I could use my specialized document class.

FYI with Layout modules in 1.6 (courtesy of Richard H.) you will at least be able to reuse components of your modified layouts.

What I typically do is:

1) Make the layout file
2) ln -s /bookdir/mybook.layout /home/slitt/.lyx/layouts/mybook.layout
3) Doublecheck the line that says # \DeclareLaTeXClass[book]{mybook}, make sure it matches the filenames.
4) lyx
5) tools->reconfigure
6) exit lyx
7) lyx mybook.lyx

It never shows document class mybook, until I turkey around for hours to get it to work. We need documentation on exactly what to do, and how to troubleshoot layouts/document classes.

See section 5.2 of the Customization manual. You are welcome to complement that part and to send patches to Uwe and to the documentation list. That's how it works for documentation.

Abdel.