On 13.06.08, Pavel Sanda wrote:

> > * Hyphenation and babel generated strings (like "Chapter" or "Table of
> >   Contents") depend on the setting of "greek" vs. "polutonikogreek".
> >
> >   Just greek language is *not* enough!

> i have just tried it and don't see what you mean. i took
> polutonikogreek-test-campbell.lyx added "Part" environment once in
> "Greek" once in "polutonikogreek" languages as implicit language and in
> both cases i got greek translation of "Part" and title.

Just have a look at the definition of the names in greek.ldf and you
will see the different definitions for polutonikogreek::

 \let\captionspolutonikogreek\captionsgreek
 \addto\captionspolutonikogreek{%
   \def\refname{>Anafor`es}%
   \def\indexname{E<uret'hrio}%
   \def\figurename{Sq~hma}%
   \def\headtoname{Pr`os}%
   \def\alsoname{bl'epe >ep'ishs}%
   \def\proofname{>Ap'odeixh}%
 }

(finding out the definition for monotonic greek is left as an exercise
to the reader ;-)

> > > that when accent-tilde is used with some char, it does not produce
> > > 'single' character but it produces combined unicode character (i.e.
> > > accent char+normal char). iirc this is correct from the unicode point
> > > of view - single accented char is equivalent to combining char + normal
> > > letter. this works on the screen, however utf8x is not able to decode
> > > the second case unless we use \unicodecombine macro in tex output.
> >
> > This it the situation with accent-tilde under utf8 input encodings
> > (utf8 as well as utf8x) where a combining-char + char is translated to
> > "<combining-char>{<char>}".
> >
> > In "traditional" 7 or 8 bit encodings, it is exported to LaTex as
> > "\<accent>{<char>}" which works well with "greek" but results in wrong
> > output with "polutonikogreek".

> is there some reason to use 7-8 bit encodings when we have utf8x?

Several:

* keep to latex standard instead of manually setting an encoding in lyx
* compatibility, no need to install the ucs package
* speed and memory usage
* correct handling of combining chars e.g. produced by lfuns accent-*.

Disadvantage:

* unicode chars from the Greek Extended table do not work.

  However, you can use the "active chars" defined by polutonikogreek
  in combination with "normal" greek letters to get accented chars.

Günter