--- On Fri, 8/8/08, Les Denham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Les Denham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Excel graphs into Lyx
> To: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
> On Friday 08 August 2008, Konrad Blum wrote:
> > PS: The people who have the free time to learn a bit
> gnuplot might want to
> > export the Excel data into the CVS format, and use the
> gnuplot graphics,
> > which can use also jpg or fig or whatsoever...
>
> You might also consider Grace, which (in my opinion) is
> easier to learn than
> gnuplot.  The Grace (or xmgrace) format is accepted by LyX
> directly, and is a
> vector format, so the results are excellent.

I'll add a plug  for R (http://www.r-project.org/)   R like gnuplot produces
much nicer graphs than any spreadsheet program.  Unfortuately, it's not all
that easy to learn but the professional appearance matches what LyX does for
text.  Outputs in png, ps, jpeg ...

Here are a couple of examples of the possible output.
http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/R/heartbeat.png
http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/images/michele1.graph.pdf

See http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/ for some really sophisticated
examples.