On 22.08.08, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

>> The problem is that the font you're using does not provide the appropriate
>> glyph (for SM). Thus textcomp bails out.

>   That occurred to me, but I neglected to ask. I'm surprised that the
> Palatino fonts don't contain that glyph since this family is one of those
> provided by LaTeX.

There is no font "provided by LaTeX".

There is one font that "comes with TeX" -- Computer Modern.

There are many fonts that are "made accessible for LaTeX", e.g. the standard
Postscript fonts.

The free versions of these standard font families are mostly "scaled
down" (missing expert cuts like real small caps as well as not-so-common
glyphs and symbols).

Additional symbols for LaTeX are mostly designed to match Computer Modern.

Günter